Sandy Huntress - Steampunk Dragon
Learn how to create your own version of one of Sandy's most popular sculptures: the steampunk dragon.
In this class we will cover all the steps in this very detailed project starting with where to find inspiration for the attitude, mood and pose of your dragon. You'll get lots of ideas for props, inclusions and extra things you can add to your creation.
We’ll then start by building an armature that will be the skeleton for your dragon’s body. You'll learn how to build it and get tips and tricks along the way for achieving exactly the look you want.
After that we'll add all sorts of fun details including faux metal plates, a variety of steampunk gears, and the coolest looking wings. You can even give your dragon its own brass goggles if you like.
We'll also look briefly at how gears in a clock actually work. Nothing too technical, but it will help us get a more realistic effect.
Along the way Sandy will show how to correct problems, personalize your project and give design tips so that when are you done you will have an amazing piece of art.
Sources of Inspiration:
Pinterest boards such as:
Sandy Huntress - Sandy has rarely met a craft she didn't like, and has all the gadgetry to prove it! You'll often find her in her studio where she designs and makes polymer clay sculptures, dragons, wire work, beaded jewelry, garments, and quilts, just to name a few. You can read all about Sandy's creative adventures at her blog, KeepsakeCrafts.net. She also has a YouTube channel where you will find new polymer clay and jewelry video tutorials each week.
It's Sandy's hope that with every post, video or tutorial students will come away encouraged and inspired. If she's done that, then she considers herself successful. www.keepsakecrafts.net
- Armature wire or heavy gauge floral wire (By the way, I misspoke in the video, the wire I used is 3.2mm (1/8”) in diameter, not 6mm)
- Aluminum foil
- Floral tape
- 4 to 6 ounces scrap clay
- Metallic clay in colors of choice, 3-4 ounces (I used Copper, Bronze, Silver, Gold)
- Clay texturing tools such as netting, mesh, and diamond patterned tool handles
- 1/8 inch ball dotting tool
- Clay blades, flexible and rigid
- Pasta machine
- Sculpting tools such as the Can't Live Without It and Gotta Have It tools
- Liquid clay
- Metal gears (also, see parts kit, below)
- Metal shears
- Safety glasses
- Fat Daddio football shaped cutters
- 6-8mm glass or metal beads for eyes
- 20 gauge craft wire
- Metal filigree pieces
- Mica powders, I used perfect pearls in Pewter and Blue Patina
- Polybonder glue
- Craft knife
- Needle tool
- Small screwdriver set
- Wire cutters
- Soft brush
- Lisa Pavelka steampunk gear mold
- Tracing wheel, from sewing department
- 8 mm jump rings or split rings
- Head pin or wire to match color of jump rings or split rings
- Drywall sanding mesh
- Clock hands or other long thin parts for wing ribs (see parts kit, below)
- Knitting needle or bamboo skewer
- Brown acrylic paint
- Microfiber cloth
- Vintaj patinas, I used Nouveau Silver, Verdigris and Jade
- Armor All
- 1/16" drill bit
- 2 eye pins
Brass Clock Parts Kits:
There are lots of steampunk gears and products out there, but there's nothing quite like adding REAL clock parts to your creations. So just for PCA 2019 I've assembled a limited number of kits to go with this Steampunk Dragon class.
Your kit will include 1 lb. of metal (mostly steel and brass) parts recycled from broken clocks. It's upcycling at its coolest!
Your kit will have:
- at least a dozen clock hands (used mainly in making the wings)
- at least 10 assorted gears, (from ¾ to 1 ¾-inches in diameter) many are still attached to arbors, which can help in embedding them in your dragon or they can be removed
- an at least 4-foot length of brass or steel chain
- a variety of other clock bits and pieces, large and small, that will inspire your imagination in their uses!
You can purchase the Steampunk Brass Clock Gears Kit at my Etsy shop, Keepsake Crafts Create.
While you're there, feel free to use the coupon code DRAGON15 for 15% off everything in my shop! Coupon expires December 31, 2019.